To receive this newsletter, please sign up here.
Steve's Life And Business Coaching Notes
I always enjoy watching the sun rise and set. However, there is something particularly
1) If You Were Told, "Change or Die!" Could you do it? - If your life depended upon it, what do you think your chances of changing your behaviour would be? What does this mean for all those other changes we want to make?
2) Special Offers and Opportunities For The New Year - Something for everyone who has important things they want to accomplish in 2012 and are looking for the support they deserve to make it happen.
1) Change or Die. Could you do it? - Imagine your doctor sits you down and tells you on no uncertain terms, "If you don't change your lifestyle, you will be dead in a year." What do you think the chances are that you would actually manage to eat a little better, exercise more, etc.?
The answer, and this has been well studied, is 1 in 7.* Shockingly, only 1 out of 7 patients that have the "change or die" conversation with their physician, are able to change their behaviour. And the point is, if 6 out of 7 of us have trouble making changes when our life literally depends on it, is it any surprise we struggle to make so many other changes in our lives, careers and businesses?
As we approach the time of the year when many of us reflect upon our living and consider the changes we want to make in the New Year, it is important to remember there are some changes we can make by ourselves but many more we simply cannot. These latter type of "adaptive" changes are those bigger challenges that require a change in mindset and behaviour. These types of changes take time, reinforcement and the power of relationship to help us revise limiting thoughts and assumptions. In short, there are changes that are very difficult for us human beings to do on our own - even when our life depends on it.
So if you are contemplating making some important changes in 2012, remember that your best intentions and willpower may simply not be enough to guarantee you the results you seek.
Thus, to better increase your odds of success, here are a few tips:
- Make sure that whatever you are trying to do, really does line up with what is truly important to you. (What you genuinely value.) Many changes fail simply because they conflict with a deeply held belief or value.
- Make sure you have a high level of commitment. A good rule of thumb is that you should have a 4 out of 5 level of commitment if you are going to be able to hang in there long enough to see through an important change. Anything less and you could easily be distracted or discouraged when things get tough or busy.
- Anticipate resistance. Anytime we attempt to move out of our comfort zone we run into resistance. Some of these thoughts/feelings/habits can completely sideline us if we are not ready for them. When the resistance shows up, get curious about any assumptions or assertions that undermine your change initiative. Chances are they are based on faulty or out of date information that no longer serves you.
- Design your support team. Big changes can be scary. Call in backup. Make sure you have a few key people you can share your goal with and turn to when things get tough. We really benefit from relationships that can remind us why we are doing something, help us examine our limiting beliefs and help us see where growth is waiting to happen. (We are all blind to some of the biggest changes we really need to make - to get the results we want.)
Good luck with all your goals, dreams and aspirations for the upcoming year. If you can dream it, and it makes your heart sing, if you take care of yourself day to day so you don't get exhausted, if you build on your strengths, if you can take it a step at a time and reach out for help when, or before, you need it, and if you can be open to the journey taking you in a different direction than you initially planned - then I believe you are going to have a fabulous adventure in 2012.
Enjoy it all.
(*Source - Immunity To Change, Robert Kegan Ph.D.)
“What you can plan, is too small for you to live.
- David Whyte
2) Coming Attractions
For Those With Important Plans, Agendas, Dreams or Changes to Make
This is a time of year for contemplating change. So if you are tired of where you are and have some big goals you want to achieve, drop me an email and let’s chat. In a 10 minute complimentary chat, I can give you some ideas on a few possible ways forward. You could also get a feel for what might be possible for you through coaching with me. Then you can make up your own mind if it is a fit or not. Who knows, you might finally be ready to join the 98.6% of all clients who find great value in coaching.
For Coaches On A Budget, THE 6 FIGURE PRACTICE PROGRAM - Registration is Now Open
If you love coaching and are simply not getting the results you want with your marketing, please note that registration is now open for January's edition of THE 6-FIGURE PRACTICE MENTORING PROGRAM . This affordable and limited enrollment program will help you find a path with heart to a very successful business or life coaching practice. (This venerable program is only offered twice a year.)
This program is designed to teach you all you need to know to find a niche, establish your brand, set up your marketing systems and generally build a great practice. And, it will support you long enough to actually put what you learn into action. Please read the course description and testimonials of the very happy participants over the years. It comes with a full satisfaction guarantee, so if it is not of great value to you, you can leave immediately.
If you are interested, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your spot.
Mentor Program Testimonials
"Thank you, I deeply appreciate working together,
"This is deeply important. Our conversations truly move me and inspire me to develop a similar depth of compassion and depth of knowledge for my clients."
"Working with Steve literally transformed my coaching practice and took my life to a whole new level."
"I wanted to make sure I wrote to thank you, as you have been pivotal in helping me focus...... which has opened a world of opportunity. Thank you very much for your wise counsel and masterful coaching."
"It is only month 3 and I have gone from 4 to 13 clients."
"Found my niche, established my brand, optimized my website,
"This is truly a transformational experience...thank you."
"Never been busier."
"I have experienced more success than I thought possible."
Visit Steve at Life and Business Coach Steve Mitten.
To receive this free "nearly" monthly newsletter filled with valuable tips, information and articles on growth, business development and coaching, please sign up here.