(In response to a question on the Coactive Network.)
This is another very common conversation between coaches and potential clients. And how you choose to handle it will depend on your personality, your niche and how you choose to market yourself. For example a higher percentage of executive clients might expect in-person coaching, and if you are an extrovert, you might enjoy getting out of your office more.
However for me, I love the flexibility to work from wherever I am, and generally dislike putting a suit on and spending time traveling. So I do 100% of my coaching via phone. (And I would with a lot of executive and business clients.)
The odd potential client may assume that coaching always works best in person. I generally tell them:
– I have been doing this for a lot of years, and there are some client agendas (say clients with strong emotions on an issues) that do benefit from the proximity of in-person coaching.
– However, for the vast majority of clients, over the phone coaching is equally effective and far more convenient and affordable.
– Also, particularly with other guy clients, the combination of intimacy (to talk about whatever we need to talk about) and anonymity (we could walk past each other on the street and not know it) facilitates them being more comfortable to open up quicker and get to the heart of issues. (And there is generally less time wasted doing the social dance of checking each other out and small talking.)
– I mention that occasionally clients think they would prefer in-person coaching, but once they get started working over the phone and see the value, they quickly relax and move forward.
– Finally, I usually remind them that the way I run my practice, there are no contracts of commitments and they should expect to get a ton of value out of each and every call. So if they try phone coaching with me and don’t like it, they are free to go at any time.
Hope this helps,
Affordable Business Development For Coaches
I believe coaches do important work in the world, and that they need more affordable and effective business training. Too many coaches struggle needlessly.
So I have always reserved a portion of my practice to work with coaches and run affordable business development programs for coaches. These programs have legions of fans, and fill up quickly by word of mouth.
Like all my work, each of these come with a money back guarantee.